Arden Ruttan received his Ph. D. in numerical analysis from Kent State University in August 1977. He was a postdoctoral fellow at California Institute of Technology from 1977-1978 and an assistant professor at Texas Tech University from 1978-1983 before joining Kent State University in 1983. Currently, he is a professor of computer science. His funding includes grants from NSF and Cray Research. His research interests are scientific computing, computational steering, highly ill-conditioned mathematical computations, a priori algorithm selection, a posteriori error analysis for numerical routines, and parallel implementations of numerical algorithms.
1. ``A Unified Theory For Real vs. Complex Rational Chebyshev Approximation on an Interval.", (with R. S. Varga), Trans. AMS., Vol 312, No. 2(1989), pp. 681-697.
2. ``Optimal Successive Overrelaxation Iterative Methods for P-cyclic Methods", (with M. Eiermann and W. Niethammer), Numer. Math. 57(1990), pp 593-606.
3. ``The Laguerre Inequalities with Applications to a Problem Associated with the Riemann Hypothesis'', Numerical Algorithms, 1(1991), pp 305-330, (with G. Csordas and R. S. Varga).
4. ``Parallel LU Decomposition of Upper Hessenberg Matrices", (with J. Buoni and P. A. Farrell), Comput. & Appl. Math. I -Algor. & Theor. , C. Brezinski and U. Kulish, eds. , 1992, pp 61-70 (with J. Buoni, and P.A. Farrell)
5. ``A Numerical Method for Eigenvalue Problems in Modelling Liquid Crystals'', 1996 Copper Mountain Conf. on Iterative Methods , Apr 9-13, 1996.(with J. Baglama, D. Calvetti, P.A. Farrell, L. Reichel).
6. ``Computation of a Few Small Eigenvalues of a Large Matrix with Applicaton to Liquid Crystal Modeling'', J. Comput. Physics, 146 (1998), pp. 203-226. (with J. Baglama, D. Calvetti, L. Reichel).
7. ``Modeling liquid crystal structures on an SMP workstation cluster'', (with Paul A. Farrell and Hong Ong), in the proceedings of Proceeding of the International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications, PDPTA'2000, Edited by H. R. Arabnia, CSREA Press, ISBN 1-892512-22-x.
8. ``An Efficient Approach for Candidate Set Generation'', Journal of Information & Knowledge Management , Vol. 4, No. 4 (2005), pp. 287-291. (with Nawar Malhis and Hazem H. Refai).
9. ``A Steering and Visualization Toolkit for Distributed Applications'', The Proceedings of the 2006 International Conference on Parallel and Distributed Processing Techniques and Applications (PDPTA'06 ), pp 451--457. (with Cara Stein, Daniel Bennett, and Paul A. Farrell)
10. ``A Visualization Environment for Nematic Liquid Crystal Materials'', Proceed ing of IADIS Multi Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems., Lisbon, Part III - Computer Graphics and Visualization, pp. 83--91, 2007, (with Paul A. Farrell, Hong Ong, and Yang-Ming Zhu.)
Department of Computer Science
Kent State University
Kent, Ohio, 44240